Saturday, February 28, 2015

"How Many Camels?!" Trip to Fes, experiencing harassment and otherwise interesting details.

Hello everyone!

My most sincere apologies, I know it's been a couple of weeks since my last blog post. I'm really bad at this whole blogging thing...
Don't take my lack of updates to heart, there's actually been a WHOLE LOT going on here in Morocco!!

I don't know exactly what this post will entail, so I will just start with yesterday; day trip to Fes!
Now, I know I mentioned that I would post about out first trip to Fes like...a month ago, but I never got around to it. (Essentially, we went to the old medina, bought some stuff, took some pictures, and had a grand ole time...)

THIS TIME, HOWEVER, was a little different. The first time we traveled to Fes we took with us one very important person; a man (our awesome friend Raul). This time, Raul decided to stay back, which was fine! And honestly, my friends and I were quite looking forward to having some girl-time...
Needless to say, this made the biggest difference. Without a man traveling with us, we were objectified, harassed, called names, and asked, "how many camels??" (meaning to buy you as a wife) at every corner. I would be lying if I said it wasn't funny sometimes...but mainly, it was incredibly uncomfortable and ANNOYING. Luckily, I have this amazing friend named Sabine. (who is of Lebanese descent, and speaks Modern Standard Arabic fluently - not to mention kicks so much ass as a human being) She watched our back and made sure to confront the men - or little boys, rather - who made it their business to follow and annoy us.
I have been especially targeted, as my hair is lighter in color than all my friends (and everyone in Morocco). In the US, I am considered a brunette in most regards. Here, I get, "Hey blondie! Wanna talk to me with those sweet lips??"
 
All this being said, it was a pretty great day, and I bought way too much. Mainly in gifts for people and some natural cosmetics like rose oil (smells amazing) and poppy flower powder for a natural lip stain! I also bought myself the most beautiful leather messenger bag (probably for way too much in comparison to what a Moroccan would pay...but I am so proud of it!) and of course, more earrings. :)

We also went to the Mall in Fes, which is totally opposite to the old medina! Lively and commercialized, it's a mall like any other that we're used to - except with different stores! We enjoyed some girl time shopping for a bit, and enjoyed some commercial mall food for dinner. I HAD DOMINOS PIZZA!!! It was definitely not the same as in the US, but still amazing, and I loved every bite!

It was all around a great day with the girls! Slightly annoyed by the harassment, but I always have an amazing time traveling with my friends here. :)
Today (Saturday) and tomorrow are ALL ABOUT THE HOMEWORK! Midterms are this week and then spring break, so it's time to buckle down and get some work done!

I'm really going to try to be better about blogging, even if they are short and pointless, I know people back home like to know what's going on!
All the best from Morocco!


Sofia xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment